Skip to main content

Crochet Chunky Christmas Tree Skirt

The most wonderful time of the year is upon us, which is also my most favorite time of the year. I love the lights, the decorations and the whole spirit of the Christmas season.

As i'm sure most of you do, in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving I was planning on how I wanted to decorate my tree. I knew I wanted to make my own tree skirt this year and I had an idea in my head of how I wanted it to look. But no matter how many times I searched I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to try to come up with my own.


I am definitely not an expert when it comes to creating/writing a crochet pattern but I was pretty impressed with how this tree skirt came out, so I decided to write it out the best I could so I could share it with all of you!

Crochet Chunky Tree Skirt:

Materials:
Wool - Ease Thick & Quick (I used 4 skeins but depending on how big your skirt needs to be will determine the amount of yarn)
N-15/10.00MM Hook
Buttons (I used three 2 inch, but it's completely up to you)

Notes:
- this pattern is going to make a knitted/ribbed look, you will be working in the "third" loop created by a half double crochet, you will also be working the the front loop of the half double crochet
- this pattern is started by making a magic circle, the only difference is you will NOT be joining the first and last hdc, instead you will be turning your work and chaining one..doing this at the end of each of your rows will create a slit opening in the tree skirt

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
flo - front loop only
st - stitch
sc - single crochet 

Pattern:
Start with a magic circle, ch 1 and 10 hdc into the circle, do not join but do tighten the circle

Row 2: turn, ch 1, 2 hdc in the third loop of every stitch, do not join

Row 3: turn, ch 1, working in the flo - 2 hdc in the first stitch, *1 hdc in the next stitch, 2 hdc in the next stitch* continue repeating from * to * until end of row, do not join

Row 4: turn, ch 1, working in the third loop - 2 hdc in the first loop, *1 hdc in the next two stitches, 2 hdc in the next stitch* continue repeating from * to * until end of row, do not join

Row 5: turn, ch 1, working in the flo - 2 hdc in the first stitch, * 1 hdc in the next three stitches, 2 hdc in the next stitch* continue repeating from * to * until end of row, do not join

Rows 6 - End: I'm sure you can see the pattern going on, so for the rest of the rows you'll be alternating between working in the third loop and the front loop only, doing 2 hdc in the first stitch, then 1 hdc in the next four(then five, six, seven, ect) stitches, then 2 hdc in the next and keep repeating until the end of the row. Just keeps working these rows over and over until the tree skirt is your desired size

Once your tree skirt is your desired size, add one more row with 1 hdc in every stitch either working in the third loop or the front loop, depending on what one you are on.

Optional: adding a row of sc in every stitch around in the third loop or the front loop, just to give the tree skirt a little boarder

Fasten off and weave your ends, now add your buttons and your chunky Christmas tree skirt will be complete!


Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Towel Topper Pattern

When I was a kid, there was always a towel or two hanging from the oven. I never really realized until I got older that the towels had a topper crocheted onto them to make them easier to hang. It's one of those things that you see and it just brings back childhood memories of the house you grew up in. Recently my mom brought me some towels and asked if I knew how to add the topper, I didn't exactly know but I knew that I could figure it out. I was so excited, not only to come up with a pattern that I hadn't done yet but to make something that reminded me of my childhood home. I can't wait to run out and buy myself some new towels so I can add toppers to them, because let's be honest, mine always end up on the floor. Between the dogs, bunnies and a toddler, nothing stays in place long. Materials Needed: Tea Towel Scissors Yarn (weight 4, 100% acrylic or cotton) E/3.50 MM Hook I/5.50 MM Hook 1 Inch Button Yarn Needle Step 1: Cut your towel in

Easy Ranch Meatloaf Recipe

Welp, I’m not going to write some long spiel before you get to the actual recipe because that can be annoying so here’s an easy meatloaf recipe for a small family or double it for your larger one. Ingredients:  1 pound ground beef 1 egg 1 ranch dressing mix packet 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs 3/4 cup ketchup 6 tbsp dark brown sugar  1 tsp yellow mustard  1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce   Preheat oven to 350*F Mix ground beef, egg, ranch mix and bread crumbs together in a bowl. Avoid handling too much.  Place in a prepared loaf pan and slightly press it in. Bake about 35 minutes.  While meatloaf is in the oven start making the topping. Add the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Once the 35 minutes is up pull out meatloaf spread topping on and place back in oven for 5-10 minutes. Check meatloaf to make sure it reaches 165*F. Let it rest for an additional 5 minutes and you’re ready to eat! Side note: there will be a lot of topping, you

Olive You Lap Blanket Pattern

Since mother nature decided to drop a nice 8 inches of snow on us instead of the inch we originally suppose to get, I figured it would be a good time to finish this chunky lap blanket! It's so squishy and warm and it's olive! I mean, who doesn't love this color?! I've been dying to make another blanket using the Bernat Blanket Yarn ever since I made a blanket for my husband with it, the blanket was a total fail but we won't get into that, haha. This yarn works up quick which is nice when making a blanket. I'm not sure about any of you but if a project is taking too long I lose interest, say I'll finish it later but never do..horrible, I know. This pattern is definitely beginner friendly, you just need to know how to single crochet (sc) and half double crochet (hdc). You'll have a nice cozy blanket in no time. So let's get started! You'll need a 10.00 MM (N- 15) crochet hook, 3 skeins of Bernat Blanket Big Ball Yarn (I